This post is dedicated to my mom who put up with 2 broken bones, 2 over night hospital trips (unexpected/ emergency reasons), a tonsillectomy, and knee surgery (did I miss anything else?). I now know what I did to you!
Some of you saw posts via facebook about Beckett's arm so here is the story. On Monday the 27th of September (Dan's mom, Dixies, birthday) Beckett and I were in the front room watching some cartoons, Elle was in our bedroom taking a nap in her bed. Elle woke up around 3:45 so I went in to get her. I walked the 15 feet from where I was to her bed and as I was picking her up Beckett starts crying really hard. For those of you who know Beckett, he is not a crier. If he hurts himself he normally says (in an almost crying voice) "I'm okay" and then wants a kiss on whatever he hurt. He then gets over it and moves on to his next adventure/ casualty. I could tell this was different immediately just by his crying. I put Elle back down (which gets her to start crying of course!) an run to Beckett. Note that I was gone no more than 30 seconds! When I get in there Beckett is on the floor next to the couch holding onto his right arm. I pick him up and note that he is not using his right hand. I try to calm him, doesn't work. I get him an ice pack, which normally will calm him down immediately, doesn't work. I try to get him to squeeze my finger with his right hand, he can barely hold it. I'm out of options. I run over to the fridge and grab the phone number for their pediatrician. I get them on the phone and tell them what's happened and they tell me to come right in.
With my luck it is raining a ton outside. I hurriedly put my crying baby in her car seat and then run her out the the car, come back in to get Beckett who hasn't stopped crying for the last 10 minutes and then head to the doctors office that is 5 minutes away. When we get there I have to balance holding Beckett, Elle in her carseat, and the diaper bag. All in the rain and opening doors by myself. Not fun. I called Dan on the way there and told him to meet me at the doc's office, luckily he was just finishing at the garage and can leave right then.
They put me into a room right away and the doctor comes in. It's around 4:10 at this point. She see's his arm is swollen at the wrist and calls the radiologist who closed at 4. (Great:( ) She wraps his arm in a splint and gives him some motrin. Did I mention that both he and I are crying as we sit in the room? Well we were. It was the worst feeling ever, my little boy in pain and there wasn't a thing I could do to take it away. The doctor told me that if we couldn't get him calmed down within an hour we needed to take him to the ER to get his arm taken care of. With his arm wrapped up I carried him to the waiting room (a nurse grabbed Ellie who has been calm the whole appointment and car ride, thank you little girl) and wait for Dad. Dad gets there within 5 minutes and gets our little boy to start calming down. We then go to the store and get Beckett a treat and soda, which he rarely ever gets. Little boy starts to feel a little better and we avoid the ER.
Next morning I go to the Radiologist when it opens. On our way out the door Beckett trips on the cement steps out side an scrapes his head and also gets a nice goose egg. While I'm trying to get him into his car seat I bump his arm and he starts crying a little bit. When we get to the Radiologists some nice ladies in front as "what happened to your arm?" Beckett's response "Mommy, hurt me". If they haven't called CPS by now, I'm quite sure they will. They take X-rays and sure enough it is broken. I was so proud of the little guy while we took the X-rays, they were moving his hand all around and he was in a lot of pain but no crying. What a tough boy!
From there we head back to the pediatricians who is finding a specialist for us to go and see. They have even done all the clearance with our insurance and set up an appointment immediately. We then head over to the Specialists. At this point we have been out for 3 hours and Ellie is hungry. When we get into the specialist's office she is upset (and who could blame her, it's been almost 4 hours since she ate) and I have to fill out paper work. Beckett is asleep in the stroller through all of this. I hurry through the paper work and they put me in a room where I start to feed ellie (and yes, she is breastfed). The doctor comes into find a mom feeding her baby and his patient knocked out in his stroller. I was a little nervous about this but didn't really care, I needed to take care of my kids. Luckily he is super nice and helpful, even holds Ellie while I put myself back together and wake Beckett up. Beckett gets his cast put on, he picked the color of course and we are out of there.
It was a long day and a half to say the least. Mom, sorry to put you through this soo many times. :)
Here are some pictures of his cast. (which is coming off on the 22nd!)
Some of you saw posts via facebook about Beckett's arm so here is the story. On Monday the 27th of September (Dan's mom, Dixies, birthday) Beckett and I were in the front room watching some cartoons, Elle was in our bedroom taking a nap in her bed. Elle woke up around 3:45 so I went in to get her. I walked the 15 feet from where I was to her bed and as I was picking her up Beckett starts crying really hard. For those of you who know Beckett, he is not a crier. If he hurts himself he normally says (in an almost crying voice) "I'm okay" and then wants a kiss on whatever he hurt. He then gets over it and moves on to his next adventure/ casualty. I could tell this was different immediately just by his crying. I put Elle back down (which gets her to start crying of course!) an run to Beckett. Note that I was gone no more than 30 seconds! When I get in there Beckett is on the floor next to the couch holding onto his right arm. I pick him up and note that he is not using his right hand. I try to calm him, doesn't work. I get him an ice pack, which normally will calm him down immediately, doesn't work. I try to get him to squeeze my finger with his right hand, he can barely hold it. I'm out of options. I run over to the fridge and grab the phone number for their pediatrician. I get them on the phone and tell them what's happened and they tell me to come right in.
With my luck it is raining a ton outside. I hurriedly put my crying baby in her car seat and then run her out the the car, come back in to get Beckett who hasn't stopped crying for the last 10 minutes and then head to the doctors office that is 5 minutes away. When we get there I have to balance holding Beckett, Elle in her carseat, and the diaper bag. All in the rain and opening doors by myself. Not fun. I called Dan on the way there and told him to meet me at the doc's office, luckily he was just finishing at the garage and can leave right then.
They put me into a room right away and the doctor comes in. It's around 4:10 at this point. She see's his arm is swollen at the wrist and calls the radiologist who closed at 4. (Great:( ) She wraps his arm in a splint and gives him some motrin. Did I mention that both he and I are crying as we sit in the room? Well we were. It was the worst feeling ever, my little boy in pain and there wasn't a thing I could do to take it away. The doctor told me that if we couldn't get him calmed down within an hour we needed to take him to the ER to get his arm taken care of. With his arm wrapped up I carried him to the waiting room (a nurse grabbed Ellie who has been calm the whole appointment and car ride, thank you little girl) and wait for Dad. Dad gets there within 5 minutes and gets our little boy to start calming down. We then go to the store and get Beckett a treat and soda, which he rarely ever gets. Little boy starts to feel a little better and we avoid the ER.
Next morning I go to the Radiologist when it opens. On our way out the door Beckett trips on the cement steps out side an scrapes his head and also gets a nice goose egg. While I'm trying to get him into his car seat I bump his arm and he starts crying a little bit. When we get to the Radiologists some nice ladies in front as "what happened to your arm?" Beckett's response "Mommy, hurt me". If they haven't called CPS by now, I'm quite sure they will. They take X-rays and sure enough it is broken. I was so proud of the little guy while we took the X-rays, they were moving his hand all around and he was in a lot of pain but no crying. What a tough boy!
From there we head back to the pediatricians who is finding a specialist for us to go and see. They have even done all the clearance with our insurance and set up an appointment immediately. We then head over to the Specialists. At this point we have been out for 3 hours and Ellie is hungry. When we get into the specialist's office she is upset (and who could blame her, it's been almost 4 hours since she ate) and I have to fill out paper work. Beckett is asleep in the stroller through all of this. I hurry through the paper work and they put me in a room where I start to feed ellie (and yes, she is breastfed). The doctor comes into find a mom feeding her baby and his patient knocked out in his stroller. I was a little nervous about this but didn't really care, I needed to take care of my kids. Luckily he is super nice and helpful, even holds Ellie while I put myself back together and wake Beckett up. Beckett gets his cast put on, he picked the color of course and we are out of there.
It was a long day and a half to say the least. Mom, sorry to put you through this soo many times. :)
Here are some pictures of his cast. (which is coming off on the 22nd!)
Getting ready for the bathtub with a garbage bag around the cast to keep it dry.

Ellie really, really, really loves Beckett. She even lets him lay on top of her while she giggles like crazy!


Elle is 15lbs and Beckett is around 30lbs, just some perspective on size. She is 4 months in this picture and he is 31 months.

This year I decided to make the kids costumes, here is Elle's (can you guess what she is?). I had never sewn an item of clothing and was pretty happy with how it turned out. We will be having the whole family in on this one. Beckett is the scare crow and I just finished his costume. More pictures to come after Halloween.








16 comments:
You've never sewn an item of clothing and you made that sweet little dress? Pretty impressive, Anne! I'm glad Beckett is recovering and CPS didn't call you. Ha ha. We've all been there more than once!
Wow -- what a great blog entry!!! I didn't know that Beckett's cast went above his elbow-yikes, that's a major cast. The pictures are wonderful. Elle's costume is spectacular -- what a great seamstress you are! Where did you get red shoes in Elle" size. Thanks for the dedication -- we share an understanding of mothering on a whole new level.
OH GEEZ!!! That little guy, I could just kiss him (and his cast too). Elle is a serious cutie! And, the dorothy dress pretty much ROCKS...watch out Judy Garland, your day in the spotlight is coming to an end!
Hahahah the best part of the story is when he says, "mommy, hurt me!" Too funny! Oh man, what a terribly crazy experience, I am so sorry! Poor thing...but what a cutie pie in his cast! LOVE the costume too, can't wait to see more!
I'm so sorry about the ordeal. It's great that you were able to avoid the ER. I Love that costume!
i laughed my head off when you siad beckett told those ladies that "my mom hurt me" ha ha ha love the costume...miss talented lady! so are you the witch and and dan the tin man?
Oh man that sounds rough! I'm sorry! I'm glad he's doing ok. Love the costumes!
sounds like quite the adventure! i loved that he said 'mommy hurt me" haha made me laugh. And that little dorothy outfit is sooooo cute!!!!!!!!!
What a tough kid! I wish I could sign his cast! And the costumes look great. I can't wait to see the pictures at Halloween!
Also Anne bad news about CPS, if Beckett is like his uncle he will probably mention the abuse from time to time over the years. Grandma Judy can vouch for that.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who lets their kids run around in their underwear.
Ohhhh poor little guy & POOR MOM! I really feel for you Annie, I think it's just about as traumatic for the Mom as it is for the kids. I'd cry too. You're a great Mommy cousin, & I'm so glad that Beckett will be ok. Ellie is SO DARLING! Love the Dorthy costume (I sewed one for Kali last year, but yours is cuter!) Great Job:)
Anne...your kids are just beautiful! I can't believe Beckett said that, kids are so funny! (hey, at least you have your blog and all of these people to vouch for you???) You are super talented, too...LOVE the costume.
wow what a crazy few days! Glad he's ok. And that costume looks AWESOME! I can't believe you've never sewn an item of clothing and it looks that great! Talented!
wow what a crazy few days! Glad he's ok. And that costume looks AWESOME! I can't believe you've never sewn an item of clothing and it looks that great! Talented!
Very impressed on the costume!! Hope Beckett is doing better...he sure is a pretty cute kid, cast and all!
Poor Beckett! that's a day you will never forget! I can't believe Elle is already so big. She is so cute, and her costume is the cutest thing ever! you MUST post pictures of her in it.
Post a Comment