We've all seen those mom's in whichever store your shopping in with the freaking out baby. I'm not talking about your average crying either, the child that you can hear from across the store, screaming for dear life. Normally I do my best to avoid staring because I feel bad for that parent and know that me looking over will do nothing to alleviate the situation and will possibly only make it worse giving that child attention. Until yesterday it had never been my child...
Beckett has started throwing little tantrums at home but we mostly just laugh (they are pretty funny when he throws himself down and rolls on the ground or tosses whatever is in his little hands and continues to pummel them into whatever is nearest to him. sorry if we are bad parents) . They've never been too bad until, again, yesterday. So here is what happened, I took Beckett out with me to run some minor errands. It was about an hour before nap time but I only had a few places to go and normally he's pretty good about it, even if it throws nap time off a little bit. We were in our second store (Joann Fabric's) and it got ugly. As soon as we walked in he starts crying/screaming. I'm trying to put him in the cart and he is kicking his legs and pushing off the cart. (At this point a 20 something guy in a pink shirt comes over to see what is going on) I finally get him into the cart and he slams his head into the front of it( what he does when he throws fits at home) and cuts his mouth. I feel bad for him and pick him up, try to anyways. He is now arching his back and moving around so I can't hold him while dripping blood mixed with saliva all over myself and him. I put him on the ground to see if he'll walk with me and he just screams and wants me to pick him up but then continues to do the hard squirming. I see that he is bleeding (I hadn't noticed the blood yet, just that he hit is face) and decide to rush for the bathroom. Everyone is staring. You can hear him throughout the store. I've ditched the cart at this point and I'm rushing through the store trying to find the bathroom. People are in my way just watching me. Very frustrating. I finally get into the bathroom where he won't calm down. I clean up the blood and run the water and he finally calms down. We're in there about 5 minutes and he seems to be ok so I decide to try going out again. I see someone about 10 feet from the bathroom and they make a remark to Beckett about "someone seems to have calmed down" - thanks very helpful lady. (sarcasm if you cannot tell) About 20 feet out of the bathroom the crying starts again but not quite as bad, he will still let me hold him. In my head I keep thinking this is embarrassing but I can't let him win so I go to look at patterns for curtains. about 3 min in when the crying has not stopped I give up... head for the exits. He starts to calm down again so I get a false sense of security, decide to look for some canvas storage boxes and 30 seconds later he is crying again but now has an employee as an audience. He sees the lady, I put him down and for a minute he is distracted with the small paintbottles she is putting away. Shorlty there after he starts tossing them around so mom picks him up and the crying begins agian. We are done! We head out, get beckett in the car seat and go home. Forget about Costco today, it's definitely not worth it! 2 minutes later, Beckett is asleep in the back looking like my little angel again... but I know better now.
I always knew the tantrums would come but for some reason got a false sense of security with beckett's easy going personality, boy was I caught off gaurd! Any tips from you experienced mom's who's children have lived through this stage?
Side note: we are in Connecticut and loving it! It is beautiful here and people are so friendly. We are still in the process of unpacking, mainly because we are painting the whole apartment and still getting furniture to put things away in. ( still don't know where the camera cord is so no pic's for a while) Will will take pictures soon so you can all see what life in CT is like!
12 comments:
I am SO sorry. That sounds awful. I hate feeling the stares... Being a mom now I never judge when I see a screaming baby!
Sorry Anne! Ethan started to act out around 18 months, he just was not himself. He loved going to nursery but one day out of no where he would cry & cry after Jared or I left.It really is a phase, I promise it will get better just hang in there. Jared's mom Debbie also told me a couple days ago that kids will start to act different about a week before they get sick, maybe that is Becketts problem.Anyways Good Luck!
Yes I am interested in the free baby. Let me know where and when we can meet up to make the oficial trade. And just so you know I am confident I can handle the situation you described. I have a lot of duct tape ;-)!
Very entertaining story (should I apologize for being entertained at your ordeal?) And actually... I think you're a very good mom for even attempting to "win." I think a lot of moms (raising my guilty hand) just give in and give up, not even attempting to do anything contrary to the child's will.
Looking forward to CT pics! Seriously, I think it's so awesome you're off on this adventure across the country. It makes our big move this month seem pretty trivial, since we're staying in utah
There could be tons of reasons for why he acted out:
I have a friend (yes I really do have one) who's little boys acts out for about a month after they move to a new place. So he could be trying to tell you that he isn't liking this new change.
or, like Miss Michelle said, he could be getting sick.
or, he could have been just over tired.
bottom line, love him anyways, and ALWAYS keep your actions consistant with what you sy you are going to do.
Daniel did that once and I concluded that he must have a brain tumor (because his brothers had never done that sort of thing!). I decided to never tick him off again, ever, and gave into his every whim until he was 19. It seemed to have worked....tee hee.
My favorite is when people suggest that tantrums shouldn't start until a child is nearly 2. Funny...they must not have children. If you do learn any good tips let me know. Matyas likes to let out high pitch screams that drive me crazy.
(I have also found JoAnn's is no place for my little boy, the lines are always long in Orem. Unless someone else is with us I don't dare take him with me.)
WHOA!! That kid misses me more than I thought...It's ok Beckett, Aunt Mindy is coming soon, I will take care of you, but if you try to teach Kai any of that nonsense...then I will be shipping him off to aunt Anne to take care of!
My advice is to never go out in public again. IT is the only way that works. Good luck
oh beckett! He's too cute to throw a tantrum like that. I am sure you must have been exagerating! Anyways, dont' worry, I'm sure it will happen again and this time you'll be more prepared! Hey, could you email me your address so we can send mr. dan his present?
so good to talk to you the other day!!! Sounds like an adventure! I would have kicked the lady!!!
i agree. never go out in public again...the only solution...
Post a Comment